In no particular order:
1. Cursing — I curse at times when I’m mad or perhaps when remembering a song lyric, but I don’t think it’s cool and I would never curse in front of anybody. I’m baffled by Christians who think it’s cool to curse. Like throwing out an F-bomb here and there somehow makes them ‘real’ or ‘hip’ or whatever.
2. Lost — I’ve seen the show and I don’t see the fascination. Do people love it so much because it doesn’t make sense? If so then is Lost the TV equivalent to Karl Barth?
3. Being Liberal — I just don’t think it’s cool to be liberal, either theologically or politically. But since I abhor politics in general I’ll leave that alone. But when I see people downing conservatives for what seems to be the fact that they don’t see it as the cooler of the two options (as if there were only two) then I just shudder.
4. Being Mean — Even when I was a punk kid who was for all intents and purposes a real jerk, I always felt bad if I crossed the line into being mean. Anyone who knows me knows that I love to crack jokes, but every once in a while something mean will slip through and I can tell that I really hurt someone’s feelings. That’s a terrible feeling and I always apologize.
5. Wannabe Young Youth Pastors — I’m all for having youth pastors, but I just wish that they could all be genuine. There’s nothing worse than seeing some old guy who thinks that he has to act like a teenager (or what he thinks a teenager acts like) in order to relate to kids. Tattoos, soul patches, and beanies don’t mean that you’re going to relate to kids. Being real with them and showing them genuine love is the way to go.
6. Really Exspensive Books — I can’t stand that there are books out there that cost hundreds of dollars. Is it not possible to make affordable paperback versions of all those great monograph series in addition to the more expensive library hardcovers? How about making PDF versions available at a low cost? What good is information if it can’t be disseminated?
7. The Emergent Church — I don’t have any real reason other than I read a Rob Bell book and was thoroughly annoyed. ;-)
8. Being Sick — I have the weirdest sore throat and cough right now and it’s not cool! The back of my throat is always dry no matter how much I drink. It makes it uncomfortable to swallow and it’s causing me to cough. Not cool!
9. Churching Longer than God — I understand that God is always present, and he lives within us, but there are times during church services where God is there in an extra-special way. When this is the case then service is great. But when it dwindles and the natural thing to do is dismiss yet people want to keep going it’s not cool. I suspect that only the Charismatic readers will know what I’m talking about.
10. The Barefoot Contessa — Ina Garten never makes anything that I would eat! It’s always seafood or undercooked beef. Or something with mustard or mayonaise. No matter what she makes it’s always gross! Not cool!