Ryan tagged me with a Bible meme so here goes:
1. What translation of the Bible do you like best?
King James Version. It just sounds so nice.
2. Old or New Testament?
New Testament but I have an affinity for the Torah and Isaiah.
3. Favorite Book of the Bible?
I have to break this up into sections:
Torah — Genesis
Prophets — Isaiah
Writings — Proverbs
Gospels — Mark
Pauline Epistles — Philippians
Catholic Epistles — 1John
Apocalyptic — Revelation
4. Favorite Chapter?
5. Favorite Verse? (feel free to explain yourself if you have to)
I can’t pick a single verse, but John’s prologue (1:1-18) is my favorite passage.
6. Bible character you think you’re most like?
Elijah the Tishbite. It’s the sarcasm for sure.
7. One thing from the Bible that confuses you?
“And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force.” (Matt. 11:12) I’ve heard this verse preached on and exegeted countless times and it has never made sense.
8. Moses or Paul?
Tough one. Right now I’ll say Paul.
9. A teaching from the Bible that you struggle with or don’t get?
I’d say original sin but then again I’m not entirely sure it’s really a teaching from the Bible. I tentatively hold to it now because of Romans 5 but I understand there are translational issues. I reserve the right to suspend judgment on this for the time being.
10. Coolest name in the Bible?
Ishbibenob (יִשְׁבִּי בְּנֹב)
Now tag five people.