A Brief History of the Doctrine of the Trinity in the Early Church
Translated by John Bowden.
New York: T&T Clark, 2007. Pp. xi + 148. Paper. $26.95.
Thanks to the folks at Continuum for a review copy!
- Introduction to the Problem
- The Beginnings of Christology
- First Models of the Relationship between ‘Father’ and ‘Son’
- The Controversy between Logos Theologians and Monarchians
- The Concern of Arius of Alexandria and the Reaction of his Opponents
- The Intervention of Emperor Constantine and the Council of Nicaea
- The Development in the Period after the Council
- The Theological Split in the Empire
- Serdica — the Failed Imperial Council
- Constantius II and the Quest for a Theological Compromise
- The Assembling of Neo-Nicenes
- The Question of the Holy Spirit
- The Council of Constantinople and the Agreement with the West