Update: I’m home now so my links are readily available. This post has been updated with the 3 missing terrible translations as well as links to all of them.
There’s been much talk of the best Bible translations recently (see Doug Mangum’s post and TC’s response), and Doug Mangum is quite correct that personal preference plays a role in everyone’s ranking, but to date I haven’t seen a worst list yet. So here’s my top 10 worst translations list, in no particular order.
1. New World Translation (too many theologically motivated mistranslations)
2. Concordant Literal New Testament (too mechanical, virtually unreadable)
3. Contemporary English Version (doesn’t quite sound Biblish enough for me)
4. New Century Version (same as above)
5. The Message (what the Bible would sound like if God were Eugene Peterson)
6. Young’s Literal Translation (too wooden)
7. Any Sacred Name Version (too annoying)
8. Good News Bible (HT: Andrew Bourne)
9. God’s Word Translation (pretentious title)
10. The Amplified Bible (Every word has a lexicon attached)
*Bonus: lolcat Bible Translation (HT: Jeff)
But there’s no need for a top 10 best translations list because there’s only one worth any attention: the KJV baby!